Sunday, September 18, 2016

Cringing and Crying (aka checking your bank account)

Me on the first day of classes.

Textbooks are expensive, and every time I had to swipe my debit card in the school bookstore or click 'checkout' on Chegg, I died a little inside. It was like a little piece of my heart went with every dollar I spent on my books, (which lets be honest I probably won't read most of them anyway). I rented all of mine, except two, so they were a little cheaper although it kind of sucks spending almost $100 on a book you have to give back, and I can't even doodle in the margins because then I'll have to pay a fine. *eye roll* The most painful part of buying textbooks is that after you've bought them all you feel pretty good-it's over with and you have everything you need. And then it hits you. You are going to have to do this every semester for the next four years of your life. Honestly, I realized that on my second day of classes and I considered dropping out for a solid five minutes. After I got over my little existential crisis about textbooks I thought "hmm what could make my day even better? Checking my bank account, of course!" So that's what I did, and I cringed and cried. A lot. I had decent amount of money in my account from working all summer and when I logged on chunk of about a couple hundred of it was gone. Poof. Disappeared. Taken by a little devil known as college. 

Because we all know the only thing worse than having to spend money on things you need, is spending money on things you don't need at all. Like jeans. I don't really need jeans but if you give me a BOGO 50% off and a student discount, I will most definitely be able to convince myself that I need jeans. And that's what I spent my Friday afternoon doing. I got my jeans-two pairs for $71-which did take a lot of convincing, a text to my mom, reassuring from my roommate, and chatting online with the customer service guy, (I wanted to see if I could get anymore money off but sadly the answer was no). But I did it nonetheless and I'm hella excited because they are arriving next week and I can't wait. I haven't had the courage to go on and look at my bank account since I bought them and I might not ever build up the courage to, but hey ignorance is bliss, right?

 
Me too, Edward, me too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment